18 October 2006

Perspective

If I am unable to be empathic to your problems, then I am sorry. It is not because I don't care. It's because I don't understand. The child in this photo doesn't have food to eat. Your problems don't seem real to me. I have a hard time understanding how the people I come in contact with can classify their trials and tribulations as "problems."

I am not discounting that we as humans can have emotion. However, we must maintain some perspective -- that is the practice of mindfulness. The next time you think you have a problem, think of this child's hunger.
A child's hunger is an injustice we all live with. We eat well and then complain about the taste or temperature of the food. Everytime we fail to see all of the things around us that should make us happy, we insult this child. We have shelter, food, clothing, family, and friends. Even if you only have one or two of these things, you're better off than the child in this picture.

Count your blessings, be happy, and do your best to correct the failures of humanity. Next time, instead of buying Starbucks, spend your money here: http://www.children.org (Children International)

2 comments:

Neil said...

Great post, Abe. That looks like a good organization to help children. I have had three sponsor children with World Vision for many years and they have been a huge blessing to us. I actually got to meet one of them twice when I went on mission trips to Kenya. What a joy!

Good point on the Starbucks. We all waste money in many ways. Only $28 per month means a child can be fed, educated and clothed. You can also write to them and encourage them. They write back as well (at least with World Vision).

P.S. Good luck on the CPA exam! I am a CPA as well, currently running and Internal Audit group.

Abe said...

I plan on sponsoring a child soon through Children International. Children Int'l, World Vision, and Feed The Children are all fantastic charities. I'm glad it's been a good experience for you.